Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne
There are 12 colleges for undergraduate and graduate students, located on the Parkville campus or within short walking distance. The colleges provide academic and pastoral support as well as 24-hour access to study-related facilities including libraries, music practice rooms and common areas. College students live in fully furnished single rooms which all have phone and internet connects. All meals are provided.
|Distance from Parkville campus||5 - 15 minutes walk|
|Lease length||One or two semesters|
|Move-in dates|| Semester 1 - mid February*
Semester 2 - mid July*
|Average weekly rent||$550 - $750 (See fee comparison)|
|Cooking facilities||Generally no|
|Utilities included in cost||Yes|
|Website||See below for ‘List of Residential Colleges’|
|Application Process||See below for 'Residential Colleges application process'|
*Please note your residential college will advise you directly of the move-in date and earlier move-in dates can be arranged after you have accepted a place.
List of Residential Colleges
|Graduate House||Queen's College|
|International House||St Hilda's College|
|Janet Clarke Hall||St Mary's College|
|Medley Hall||Trinity College|
|Newman College||University College|
|Ormond College||Whitley College|
Residential Colleges application process
Dates for Study Abroad and Exchange Residential College Applications
Semester 1 (February-June intake): OPEN: 10 October CLOSE: 10 December
Semester 2 (July-November intake): OPEN: 10 March CLOSE: 10 May
Step 1: Before you apply
- Read through each Residential College’s website carefully and find a College you feel would be the best fit for you.
- If you wish to apply for a Residential College, apply as soon as you have applied to study at the University of Melbourne. College applications may close before you have received your acceptance to the University of Melbourne.
- Study Abroad and Exchange students must apply through Melbourne Global Mobility office.
- Places in Residential Colleges are limited and entry can be a competitive process, so please make sure that you have uploaded all required documents before final submision.
Step 2: Application process
- Complete the online ‘Residential College Application Form’ with your College preferences.
- It is compulsory to include the following documents as part of your submission
- academic reference* - Suggested format and information for your academic reference can be found here
- academic transcripts
- copy of the details page of your passport
- You will receive an email confirmation once you complete the online form.
*If your academic referee prefers to send the reference directly to us, the reference needs to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then need to upload a document as part of your online submission, notifying us that your reference has been sent directly to email@example.com. Failure to advise us will result in your reference not being included in your application
Step 3: After you apply
- All applicants will receive an outcome via email within 3 – 4 weeks after the application closing date.
- All enquiries in the meantime should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If unsuccessful, you will be provided with alternative accommodation options. Although this does not guarantee accommodation, there will be extra support provided by MGM, to ensure that an alternative option is arranged.