Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne

Choosing Your Subjects

All prospective exchange students (for semester 1, 2018 onwards, for study abroad students it is for semester 2, 2017) must submit a study plan to have their subjects assesed using the new online Study Planner (you can find the link in the application form for exchange or study abroad study plan question), for their first preference destination only, to complete the Melbourne Global Mobility online application form by the due date. If you have not submitted your application and study plan by this date your application is not complete.

While you only need to get a study plan approved for your first preference destination, it is a good idea, while you are researching your second and third destinations, to at least plan prospective subjects in case you need to consider that destination at a later stage. You can begin as many study plans as you like in the Study Planner but you can only submit one.

Students must be enrolled for a full-time credit load while on exchange:

  • for one semester overseas: a minimum of 37.5 points (full time load) but preferably 50 points (full load)
  • for one year overseas: a minimum of 75 points (full time load) but preferably 100 points (full load)

In order to get the appropriate load credited to your degree at the University of Melbourne, you must successfully complete the equivalent load at your host institution as listed on the Credit Load tab in the brochure page for the partner institution in the new on-line system.

Note: you are advised to choose, and get approved, more subjects than you will actually need to take as this will save you time later if subjects are cancelled or there are timetable clashes and you need to change your subjects. This happens in a lot of cases so be prepared!

Don't get carried away, though! Remember it requires work to find them on your part, and to assess them on the part of the advisor here. The Study Planner will only allow you to submit a load of up to double the credits you must do. If the maximum load is 30 ECTS for one semester (= 50 UoM points) then you will only be able to submit a plan worth 60 ECTS for one semester.

Is there an equivalent?

You may not have to take subjects which have an equivalent at the University of Melbourne. One of the benefits of studying on exchange can be getting access to different topics and aspects of a discipline which are not available here at Melbourne or even different disciplines, so keep that in mind when choosing subjects.

What information you must provide

When doing your research you need to find:

  • subject descriptions (including, where possible, reading lists and topics covered);
  • the level at which the subject is taught (third year, second year graduate, etc);
  • information about contact hours (per week and the number of weeks);
  • assessment (ideally the forms of assessment and, if applicable, the number of words required);
  • any prerequisities; and
  • the credit point value of each subject.

You will find this information most commonly on the institution websites.

Sometimes they have the equivalent of a handbook in which you can look (it can often be called a "course catalog(ue)", but it can be called a 'Module catalogue', 'Bulletin' or 'Academic Calendar'). Where we have found it, we will provide a link or instructions on how to get to it on the Useful Info tab of the in the brochure page for the partner institution; please let us know if you find it before we do.

It is your responsibility to check that your study plan is current and, as best you can, that the timetable will enable you to do all the subjects you need at the partner institution. If you are forced to choose subjects based on the previous year's handbook while you wait for the new one, you must check that subjects are still available when the new handbook becomes available.


What sort of credit do you want?

When seeking subject approvals, you need to be clear if you would like credit towards breadth, your minor, your major, your electives or your diploma, where that is relevant. This will change who you approach to look at the subjects. Follow these guidelines:

  • Bachelor degree students requesting credit for breadth should go to the Program Director of their bachelor degree;
  • Bachelor degree students seeking general, non-specific, elective credit which does not lead into a major or minor specialisation should go to the Program Director of that bachelor degree;
  • Bachelor students seeking credit to their major(s) or minor should go to the discipline advisor(s) for that/those major(s) or minor; and
  • All other students should go to the discipline advisor(s) for that/those major(s) or minor.


Getting your subjects assessed

For students applying for exchange in semester 1, 2018 onwards, use the Study Planner to send the request for subject assessment to the relevant assessor based on the list above and the type of credit you want. Do NOT email discipline advisors nor program directors seeking approval for subjects. That process is managed through the new Study Planner.

Contact details and names of discipline advisors have been provided here for you to seek advice from them about suitable subjects or possible appropriate destinations, if you need to do that.


If you are not sure...

If you are not sure about the structure of your course and where subjects may fit into it, please consult with the Course Planning staff at Stop 1 before submitting your study plan or emailing discipline advisors or program directors. To make an appointment to speak to the Course Planning staff go to your my.unimelb and click on Book an Adviser then choose Course Planning from the following drop down options.