Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne

Re-enrolment for outbound students

This page is designed for students who are about to go on exchange (and applies also to students doing semester-long study abroad). If you are currently on exchange please go to the re-enrolment while overseas webpage.

Re-enrolment for 2018

If you are about to undertake exchange or study abroad studies, you need to re-enrol for 2018 at the University of Melbourne (UoM)  by Friday, 8 December, 2017.

For information about how to re-enrol at the University of Melbourne:

  • Visit the re-enrolment web page.  It outlines the re-enrolment steps, how to obtain assistance, the key dates (including the dates from which late fees apply and enrolments are cancelled), how and when to obtain invoices, etc.  AND
  • Refer also to the notes in the table below.

You may also need to enrol at the host institution.

Failure to re-enrol will mean that your enrolment at the University of Melbourne will be cancelled along with your exchange or study abroad studies. International students studying here on an Australian student visa whose enrolment is cancelled resulting from failure to re-enrol, will also face the risk of their Australian visa being cancelled.

You must make sure that your contact details are up to date and you check your University email account at least once a week, during this period.


Who should re-enrol?

Your exchange or study abroad situation How to re-enrol at the UoM for 2018
You will start your exchange or study abroad studies in 2018 and have received written confirmation of your acceptance from your host institution By Friday 8 December, 2017 visit the re-enrolment website and:
  • Accept the 2018 Enrolment Declaration
  • Check you are enrolled in the placeholder subjects used for exchange and study abroad.  EXCH is used for exchange; STDY is used for study abroad*.
  • Enrol in any subjects you plan to undertake when you return to Melbourne in 2018 (e.g. if you will be on exchange for Semester 1 2018, to complete your UoM re-enrolment for the second half of 2018 you will need to enrol in subjects or take leave of absence).
You plan to undertake exchange or study abroad studies in 2018 and are awaiting written confirmation from your host institution

Accept the 2018 Enrolment Declaration and enrol in the subjects you would undertake if studying at the UoM in 2018.

If you receive approval to undertake:

  • Exchange studies, the Stop 1 Team will contact you about updating your UoM enrolment.
  • Study Abroad studies you need to submit  your acceptance letter once all conditions are met to Stop 1 so that we can update your enrolment. You can do this via https://ask/
You plan to take a break from your University of Melbourne studies in semester two 2018 after your exchange (E.G. to travel) You need to re-enrol by the TBC due date as described above. As part of this, apply for Leave of Absence for semester two when you won’t be studying.
    * Exceptions are
    • Medicine students going to Oslo enrol in MEDS60001 Exchange: Women's&Children'sHealth-Oslo
    • Law students taking studying at the Centre for Transnational Legal Studies (CTLS) enrol in LAWS50043 CTLS Program
    • Social Work Practicum students enrol in:
      • SCWK 90050    Supervised Field Placement B Part 1
      • SCWK 90051    Supervised Field Placement B Part 2