Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne

Reciprocal health care agreements with other countries

Australia has health care agreements with eight countries:

General medical services are only provided where the need for treatment arises and it would be unreasonable to delay it until you intended to return to Australia.


What is not covered by reciprocal health care arrangements?

  • hospital accommodation and treatment as a private patient
  • pre-arranged treatment
  • items such as glasses, contact lenses, most dental work and chiropractic services
  • medical evacuation to Australia
  • medical treatment that is not immediately necessary
  • medicines are generally not subsidised under the agreement

What do I need to do to receive health care overseas?

You will need to provide local authorities with:

  • your Australian passport or other passport which shows you are a permanent Australian resident
  • a valid Medicare card

To receive medical services under the agreements, advise medical staff you wish to be treated under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

These agreements do not replace the need for private travel health insurance. You still need to take out suitable health and travel insurance.

Adapted from the Medicare Australia travelling overseas webpage.