Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne

Travel warnings

If you intend to go abroad to a country that is considered unstable or unsafe, you will be contacted by the University of Melbourne during the nomination and approval process. The University of Melbourne relies on advice from the Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) on such matters.

There is a process through Safer Communities which covers travel to high risk destinations; information is available here.

If the Australian Government recommends that all travel to the host country be deferred or that all non-essential travel be deferred, your overseas study will be suspended until such time as the recommendation is improved. If you are in the country at the time that the warning is issued you will need to leave as soon as possible. University of Melbourne staff will liaise with you and your host institution. Alternative arrangements will be made for your assessment.

Up-to-date information and guidelines on foreign travel to designated 'risk areas' are available from the Department's website Smartraveller. If you are already in a country where a crisis is developing, refer to this page regularly.

All students are asked to complete the on-line "Register of Australian Citizens" when they have finalised their travel plans, and when they are settled at their term address overseas. Please consult the Providing your overseas contact details section of this website for more information about how to do this. Non-Australian citizens should register with consular officials at the nearest appropriate diplomatic mission.


Smarttraveller logo