Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne

Study Abroad

Study Abroad allows you to study at an overseas institution that usually does not have an exchange agreement with the University of Melbourne. Similar to the exchange program, you need to apply and have your overseas study plan approved by Stop 1 before you go.

How to apply for Study Abroad

If none of the University of Melbourne Exchange partners are suitable for your needs and interests at present, other approved semester-long opportunities are available for you to apply as study abroad. Read the How to apply for your study abroad page for more information.

Many short-term overseas study opportunities are available as study abroad programs. The currently approved list is available on the Short-term Overseas Study page.


Due Dates

These are the standard program dates for approved programs. Always check the brochure pages for the due date in case individual program due dates differ.

Program Period Calendar Period Due Date

January-recognised programs


November – February 2017-18

Sunday 3 September 2017
Sunday 1 October 2017

Other programs Sunday, 22 October 2017
July-recognised programs  

June-July 2018

Sunday, 1 April 2018 tbc
Other programs Sunday, 27 May 2018 tbc


Funding for Study Abroad

Can I get financial assistance as a Study Abroad student? More information can be found on the study abroad funding webpage.

For a list of country-specific funding opportunities, find more information on the other funding opportunities webpage.

For a list of prizes, exhibitions, scholarships and bursaries available to University of Melbourne students through University regulation, find more information by visiting the University's Scholarships search..


While you are away

Students permitted to do study abroad and accepted at an approved institution, enrol in so-called 'placeholder' subjects while they are studying overseas. These begin with the prefix "STDY" and record that you are on study abroad.

As you are still enrolled at the University of Melbourne in these subjects, those currently receiving Centrelink payments may be eligible to continue receiving payments while overseas, as long as their study remains full-time. Others not currently receiving it, may become eligible by going overseas to study towards your Melbourne degree full-time. If you are unsure, speak to Financial Aid here at the University.