Inbound students Study Abroad and Exchange at the University of Melbourne
Universitas 21 Undergraduate Research Conference
This conference enables undergraduate students from around the globe to showcase their research to an international audience of fellow students and academics. The conference aims to attract students from a diverse range of discipline and typically includes seminars and student presentations interspersed with social activities and tours to promote networking and stimulate discussion. The URC also offers academic staff the opportunity to engage with U21 colleagues, discuss topical issues and develop professional networks.
Visit the Universitas 21 website for student testimonials from previous years.
2017 U21 Undergraduate Research Conference
Theme: Future Societies, Global Citizens
What global challenges will face future societies and how can today’s internationally minded students become global citizens? Conference themes will include: development, health, justice and the environment. Under each theme we will explore the potential for active global citizenship in improving human rights,realising fundamental freedoms, expanding human knowledge, and driving innovation. The conference will offer a unique opportunity for undergraduate scholars to hone their research, public speaking and networking skills with acclaimed academics and peers from around the world. There will also be the opportunity to participate in a variety of extracurricular events to explore Scotland’s political and cultural heritage, from tours of Edinburgh Castle and the Scottish Parliament to a traditional Ceilidh dance.
More information available on the U21 website.
Dates: 26 - 30 June 2017
Venue: University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
How to Apply
Internal application deadline:
Monday 10 April 2017 at 11.59pm (extended from previous).
Complete applications must be submitted by the internal application deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org
Two U21 bursaries covering the cost of return flights and accommodation for the duration of the conference will be offered to successfully nominated applicants.
- Participation in this program is limited to students enrolled in 3rd year Undergraduate or Honours and undertaking research in a field related to the theme of the conference.
- Please write a personal statement of no more than 500 words addressing the two key points below:
- What is your motivation for applying to participate in the U21 Undergraduate Research Conference?
- Outline how the skills and experience you possess will make a positive contribution to this program.
- Provide a 200 word abstract on your research in the context of the theme: Future Societies, Global Citizens – Please read about the conference for inspiration
- Provide an official copy of your University of Melbourne transcript and your CV. Official copies of your transcript can be ordered online from Stop 1.
- The University of Melbourne may nominate 3 candidates to participate in the U21 Undergraduate Research Conference. Please note that bursaries available for two students, third candidate will need to cover their own expenses.
- Successful applicants will be selected by a panel of academic and professional staff based on the quality of their written application and academic history. Please note that selection is highly competitive and the selection committee's decision is final.
- Successful candidates will receive funding from the University of Melbourne to cover the cost of their accommodation and return flights from Melbourne to Edinburgh.